When you are all set to repaint your home, and ready with every essential tool for the house painting job, the only thing that remains is to pick the right color and the right shade. You cannot just start your house painting job by picking any paint shade that you can lay your hands on. This process needs proper thought and detailed research. You need to take into consideration all the aspects of living while choosing the right color. If needed, ask a professional, but ensure that you have made a well-thought decision.
As a house painting job is something that is supposed to last for at least 5 years, it is a huge decision. Before choosing the color, ask yourself whether you can live with that color for years. To make your task easier, here are some simple dos and don’ts to guide you through the process.
- Don’t – Do not pick the paint color first: Well obviously this is what people do usually – get done with bigger tasks first and picking the right color is one of the biggest tasks in a house painting job. But if you do this, you are wrong. Picking the color first is like pinning yourself in a corner far away from the right match as you miss out to see what all the fabrics and elements that influence the color shade of the room. Plan the complete room and then decide what colors match the fabrics and the furniture the best, Keep an open mind.
- Do – Know the color terminologies: Knowing the color terminologies will help you grasp more when a professional advise you on color picking. There are some simple basic terms that enable you to understand the color shades in detail.
- Hue: It is what you call a color. Red, blue, green are hues.
- Hue value: The hue value is the amount of a color in a particular shade. It is generally measured between 0 to 100, 0 being no amount of color at all and 100 being the highest value.
- Saturation: This refers to how dominant a hue is. From going from red to pink, the saturation of red reduces.
- Intensity: It is the brilliance of the color. Pure colors are more intense than combined ones.
- Don’t – Do not just stick to the neutrals: These tips are somewhat tricky. You need to first decide where the attention of the room should be centered. If your answer is the walls, then you need to go bold while choosing colors. But then for that, you need to choose furniture and curtain fabrics of neutral color so that everything does not end up competing for attention. But if your furniture and room fabrics are already of bold colors, it is preferable that you pick a neutral color for a wall paint. You can also highlight one wall with bold paint and leave the rest of the walls painted with neutral colors. But a whole room full of neutral colors is a complete negative.
- Do – Test the paint using testers: Before starting a house painting job, get paint tester cans and paint small patches on various walls to check how the paint looks when the light hits it at different times of the day. Make sure you do not forget to test it against furniture fixtures to see if they blend in. take into consideration the current trends in house painting as well.
With these Dos and Don’ts, you can get a clear guideline for your house painting project and you can easily choose the ideal color for the house walls. The home becomes more pleasant if the wall colors are bright. Always go for happy and gay colors.