Laminate flooring is a well-known flooring method owing to advantages such as color options, durability, and budget-friendliness. Despite being a long-lasting product, with time, the shine on a laminate fades off. So, maintenance is required on a laminate flooring to keep that shine alive. We have listed here some ways that you should follow to extend the life of your laminate flooring:
- For everyday care, use a dust mop or a soft-bristle broom for cleaning.
- Even the use of a vacuum cleaner is suggested, provided that you use the suction only and not the beater bar attachments. This can be done on a regular basis without causing any harm to the flooring.
- For damp cleaning, you can use some laminate floor cleaner of a renowned company on a cotton cloth or a microfiber mop and then clean the floor. Don’t use the product directly.
- For the cleaning of the floor, you can even use distilled white vinegar. Just mix a cup of white vinegar with a gallon of warm water. Use this mixture on a mop and clean the floor to get the best results.
For Preventing Damage
- For removing stubborn stains of paint, oil, and markers from your laminate floor, be careful. Nail polish remover is acetone-based. While doing this, don’t rub it repeatedly as it can fade the shine.
- If there are spots and spills, don’t let it dry. Clean it right away before it can damage the flooring.
- For hard and tough substances like wax or chewing gum that get stuck on the floor, use ice to soften it first and then gently use a plastic scraper to scrape it away. Don’t scratch or wipe the surface with a soft or slightly damp cloth as it can form marks on the floor surface.
- Use specialized tools meant to fix damaged planks.
- Dampen cloth with red wine and coca cola to cleaning stains.
For Some Extra Care
- For extra protection of the floor, buy high-quality floor mats and protective pads and place then under heavy furniture.
- Regularly change the position of the furniture to spread a uniform pressure on the floor and ensure a longer life of the flooring.
- At the entrance and exits of the house, place floor mats. This will trap caustic substances like dirt, oil, and grit.
- Place mats under kitchen sinks, stoves, and at the entrance of the bathroom area for protection.
Things to Avoid
- On a laminate floor, don’t use oils, soaps, detergents, shine enhancers, or varnish for cleaning.
- Don’t apply cleaner directly onto the surface of the laminate. This can cause staining. Instead, lightly spray a cleaning material on a cleaning cloth or dampen it and then mop it.
- Spray mops, steam cleaners, and power cleaners should not be used on laminate
- Water mopping should not be done, and, if you find water spills, just clean dry it immediately. This is important as, sometimes, the water may seep in through cracks in the flooring and harm it.
- Avoid exposure to sunlight as the floor material can fade under harsh light.
- Shoes should not be allowed in the house as they can affect the flooring, causing abrasion.
- Laminate flooring is not real wood, so it does not require polishing. This can harm the flooring.
These are some effective methods that should be followed for increasing the life of laminate flooring. Often, taking precautionary steps are a better option to extend the life of the flooring.